Monday, December 05, 2011

Gruyere Grilled Cheese With Caramelized Onions

This post will have you running to the store for these simple ingredients.  It's the perfect grown-up comfort food!  I first stumbled upon Gruyere cheese when I was watching The Nate Berkus Show and he featured The Neely's holiday recipes.  Their "Best Mashed Potatoes" were quick and easy, so I decided to add it to our Thanksgiving menu.  Their recipe on Nate's site calls for smoked gouda, but when I watched the actual show, they used Gruyere.  Their mashed potatoes were easy and delicious, just like they said!  I had some cheese left over, so I googled Gruyere and found this recipe from Tasty Kitchen.
Source: Tasty Kitchen via Alicia on Pinterest

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil, divided
1 whole Small Sweet Onion
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch of sugar
4 slices Whole Grain Bread
4 slices Gruyere Cheese

Preparation Instructions:
Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.  All the sliced onion and sprinkle with salt and sugar.  The sugar is to help with the caramelization and the salt sweats the onion out a a bit, as well as balances the sugar.  Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are browned, about 20-25 minutes.

Take two pieces of bread; line one side with sliced cheese.  Then distribute some onions over top and top with the another piece of bread.  Brush the outside pieces with olive oil (I used Pam Olive Oil spray, so much easier!)  I recommend placing another pan on top of the sandwich in order to squash it down a bit. Cook the sandwich until the bread had browned, about 2-5 minutes.  Flip over and repeat.  Transfer to a plate and dig in!

This is SO delicious!  I think I made three in one week!
Here's my festive sandwich...
Have you made this?  Do you love it, like it, not like it?
I'd love to know what you think!It's been "repinned" several times on Pinterest,
so I'm thinkin' it's a favorite!  Have a great week!

Linking Up To:
Tuesday Talent @ Vintage Wanna Bee

1 comment:

A Vintage Vine said...

I just had to tell you that sandwich looks delish! After looking at it most of the day while we "worked" on your blog....I started to want one! HAHA!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...