Friday, October 21, 2011

Homemade Chalk Paint Dresser

I did it!  I FINALLY painted something with chalk paint!  I've been dying to try it, but could never bring myself to spend the money.  My friend and fellow blogger Lisa @ A Vintage Vine told me there was a formula for making your own!  What?  Seriously?  I didn't waste any time and let me just say, the results were AMAZING!
Here is the dresser I chose to refinish:
I purchased this dresser at Kirklands several years ago. It's held up great, however, we have a lot of dark furniture in our home... this piece was the perfect candidate for a change!
There are several different ways you can make homemade chalk paint.  You can go to Lisa's post here to get the ingredients.  For this dresser, we decided to mix 2 tablespoons of plaster of Paris with one cup flat latex paint.  When making your own, you can mix any color you want!  My color choice was Dolphin Fin by Behr, a very light gray.  It's important to store your paint in an air tight container.  I used a Ball jar.  Your paint will be very thick, especially after it sits for awhile.  Adding water can decrease the thickness, but only add one tsp. at a time.
I applied the chalk paint with a cabinet nap foam roller.  For the hard to reach areas, I used the end of the roller to dab my paint into the corners.  At first, I thought I wanted full coverage, as I do not have many distressed pieces in my home.  I LOVE the look of distressing, but could I pull off the look?  
After the first coat dried, I lightly sanded to smooth out the rough texture caused by the Plaster of Paris.  I started seeing the wood coming through and knew I had to distress!
After lots of sanding and distressing, the piece was amazingly smooth.  To seal and protect, I used a Minwax Cabinet Paste in Natural.  The waxing gives your paint color a slightly darker tone and really brings out the distressed areas.
I am beyond thrilled with the results!
Before...
And after!
Remember those Anthropologie knobs I mentioned in my recent post?  Swoon!  
This was my very first furniture re-do and certainly not my last.  I really enjoyed this project and cannot thank Lisa enough for her help and guidance!  








17 comments:

A Vintage Vine said...

Alicia, it looks gorgeous...You did such a great job...Those knobs really made this piece PERFECT!

Carole @ Blue Chateau Interiors said...

It is absolutely gorgeous! Love the color you chose and I, too, swoon with those knobs. Great work!

Jen @ Bungalov said...

Hi there! You did a great job. Found you on MMS. For a first it came out great. I love the vintage pieces sitting on top too. I have an obsession for Ball jars.

Mimi@blueroofcabin said...

I love how it turned out!! Now I am bummed I didnt try making my own chalk paint! I have seen some how to's out there but I decided to just buy a quart of the ASCP. Now that I see your results I am kicking myself. Great job girlfriend!

Steph @ Crafting in the Rain said...

It looks beautiful! I painted a dresser too and also distressed it. A little scary to make those first marks, but it's totally worth it :)
http://craftingintherain.blogspot.com/2011/09/dressed-up-dresser.html

Kahli said...

Wow great job on the homemade chalk paint! You saved a lot of money too! I love the finished look :)

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

This turned out beautifully! Love those knobs!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

that is adorable! i love the color, finish, knobs! all of it! so glad lisa sent you my way! :)

Nicole {Home for Hire} said...

The perfect color! The table turned out so lovely--I may have to give that formula a whirl :)

Kammy Wielenga said...

Those knobs are so pretty! Love everything you did, especially the color! Thanks for linking over at Trash 2 Treasure Tuesday.

Wanda @ Centsible Chic said...

It looks beautiful, great job. I recently bought a tub of the the plaster of paris but was hesitant to try it, but not any more.

lauren @ West Furniture Revival said...

love your dresser the color is perfect for the piece. id love to feature it , if that would be ok with you please let me know,
lauren

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

Gorgeous! I spend all day painting the bathroom Dolphin Fin...love the color and the knobs are perfect. You distressed it like a pro!

Erin S. said...

Ooooo--make your own chalk paint? Thanks for posting the tip. Your project turned out beautifully!

Honey at 2805 said...

A Kirkland's dresser never looked so good! Nice job!

Layn @ reignalayn.blogspot.com said...

Awesome job! This looks amazing!

Elisa said...

This turned out awesome! I currently own every color of Annie Sloan but after seeing your post and a few others like it I am seriously considering trying your recipe. hmmmm the color possibilities would be endless! I love what you did! Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...