Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Before and After: Metal Tile Transformation

I'm excited to share one of my favorite transformations with you.  As I mentioned in a previously post, I purchased these four tiles at Kirkland's a few years ago.  At the time, they were the perfect colors for the room and went well with my window panels.  Well, let me just say... this girl needed a change.  In my opinion, the red was too bold for such a big room.  I wanted a more relaxing space, it's true what they say about color, it can go a long way toward setting the mood and energy in a room.
I knew I wanted to keep the tiles because of their size and style.  I've seen old architectural tiles at local antique shops and thought I could give them a similar look.  First, I started by priming the walls.  I needed to start with a clean slate to know just what color to use... that's how I roll.  My daughter helped me prime over the red... princess style!  :)
For the walls, I chose a beautiful grey blue by Behr called Silver Tinsel.  I love this color! It's the perfect shade! After two coats on all three walls, I knew painting the tiles an off white would make them pop! Helpful tip: When painting over red (or any dark/bold color), use a tinted primer that is 70% of your new wall color.
I scuffed up each tile with a 220 grit sand paper to help the primer stick.  Then, I gave each one 2 coats of Sherwin Williams Dover White.  I decided to distress them to give them that shabby vintage feel.  I took a rag and put my beloved Ralph Lauren Smoke glaze all over, then whipped it off.  Are you ready for the before and after?  Okay, one more time...  Here's the before:
And the after:
The room is still a work in progress, but toning down the walls with a more relaxing color made a HUGE difference. I'll give you a peek of how it looks now (minus the Christmas tree, of course).  I haven't done anything but hang panels.  Stay tuned to see what I plan to do with this room!
On a recent trip to Goodwill, I discovered this clock for $3 dollars!  I've been searching for a wall clock for our master bathroom.  I love the detail!  Come back and see what I did with her!  Hope you're having a great day!

12 comments:

Donna Heber said...

Hi Ava,

Your wall tiles are gorgeous and I love your room transformation. Your clock was such a great find! I hope you will stop over and visit me. Have a great day!

AsylumTanya said...

The walls and the tiles look great! I think they turned out lovely. Thanks for sharing!

Amy@happylittleparty.blogspot.com said...

Love the color and love the texture of these tiles!
great job

Anonymous said...

beautiful (even though I might never get over red, lol)! found you on momnivore's dilemma.

Suzanne@thriftstoredecorjunky said...

Great job on the tiles! Love the walla and the curtains, too.

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

The tiles look great-although I've got to say, I'm a red girl myself and think they looked great the old way too.

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Your tiles look great- I love the texture they have and your room is so pretty too! Would love if you would come share these at Feathered Nest Friday sometime :)

Noble Vintage said...

such a nice, fresh update! We used to have a similar color (the red) in our master bedroom, and it is a ton of work. (going on and coming off!) love the makeover. Thanks for joining in at Transformations and Treasures!

Courtney said...

Hi there~ just stopping back by to say thanks for sharing this at Feathered Nest Friday~ hope you will come back and share again soon! To answer your question- I found your blog at a linky party and popped over. Have a great day! :)

Alicia @ Sweet Ava Kate said...

Thank you all for your sweet comments! <3

Kimberly T. said...

Oh, I love those wall tiles! Your color is beautiful and you're right the cream and gray is a gorgeous combination.

Jen said...

I love those wall tiles and how you've repainted them. I think they look so elegant! Thanks for sharing :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...