Tuesday, November 29, 2011

November News

Hi!  I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!  We hosted this year and I'm happy to say it was a stress-free weekend!  I guess lots of food prep and planning two weeks prior helped me not stress out!  My parents, brother and his new wife came over from Oklahoma.  We had such a wonderful time with them.  
Before the month of December begins, I wanted to recap on our November news...
In early November, Tyler turned 3!  He's entered the super hero phase and it's been so fun to see how animated he's become.  He also LOVES firetrucks, police cars and tractors!  For his birthday, we had a small party with his little friends from pre-school and took a tour of the local fire station. 
Even mommy joined in on the fun.  I modeled the entire uniform, tank and all!  50 pounds worth and in the Texas summer heat, you can image how miserable it must be to wear all of this!
We finished some long overdue projects... the obvious one, the kitchen banquette.
This beast was started in July; four months later it is painted and looking bee-u-ti-ful!
I moved our new farmhouse table out of the way so you could see the details.
You can go here, here and here for the step-by-step.
We used an enamel paint and it has been so easy to clean.
I haven't had a chance to make cushions yet, but I'm thinking canvas drop cloth.
It's so cheap and I'm hooked on the stuff after using it in the living room.

Here's a before photo (Christmas morning 2010) I found from last year...
and after!
This room has always just been "okay" in the way of decorating.  It didn't hit me until they were hung... but making these drop cloth panels made a HUGE difference in this room.  It's more cozy, home-y and balances the room nicely.  I used an 8 ounce 9x12ft piece that I purchased at Lowe's for $20.  I folded them down 10 inches to create a valance look.  I found two rods at Hobby Lobby for $9.99 each and after using two 40% off coupons, I got both of them for under $13!  Clips at Target for around $10 and VOLIA... a $43 dollar make-over!  We love it!  I hope to find the perfect trim for that little pop of color.  Kinda like my inspiration picture here:
via A Soft Place to Land  

I'll be back later to show you more of what we've been working on.  Can't wait to share some of my fun finds from the last week!  Here's a sneak peek...
Tyler's lounging on our new ottoman, wait 'til you hear about this bargain!
This antique was a steal and had layers of old fabric I discovered!
You'll find me at these link parties:

1 comment:

Cassie Bustamante said...

the banquette looks awesome! that is what i want to do in my kitchen one day if i can convince my husband!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...